This detailed introduction will give you a solid foundation using Karma CMS. If you have never used Karma CMS before, it is recommended that you follow each step of this document in order to become familiar with the system. (It may look like a lot, but it should only take 15-20 minutes to get through it.)
Installing a Module and Entering Content:
- Go to your Admin Area (http://yourdomain.com/!admin).
- Click the "CMS" link from the menu.
- Click the button at the top of the screen that says "Install New Module".
- You will see a list of all the modules you can install. A good one to start with is "Blog", so scroll down until you see the "Blog" module, and click the "Install" button.
- The next screen you see will prompt you to pick a name for this module. By default it will say "Blog", but let's change this to say "News" instead.
- The module will take a second or two to install, and then you will return to your list of installed modules. You will see the News module that you just installed.
- Let's add a news item: Click the "Add/Edit Content" button across from "News", and then click the "Add New Entry" button. You will see fields where you can enter a news title and some text. Enter a title and a short message to your audience, then click "Submit".
- You have now entered a news item. You will see the news item listed, and if you want, you can click the [Photos] link to add photos to this news item.
Setting the Site Title, Home Page, and Main Links:
- Enter the CMS and click the purple button at the top of the screen that says "Main Preferences".
- The first few options allow you to select which design people see when they come to the site, and which module functions as your Home Page. Leave these as they are for now. You can come back and change them later if you like.
- You will also see here a place to enter the Site Title. This will be displayed predominantly at the top of your site. Enter a site title now.
- A little bit further down you will see a split-panel section where you can create your Main Links. The modules you have installed will be listed on the right. By highlighting the available modules and clicking the "Add" button, they will go over to left side and become main links. You may also use the buttons to rearrange the order of the links.
- When you are done, click the "Set Preferences" button and go look at your site to see the changes.
Adding a Main Photo:
The "Main Photo" is the predominant photo that is integrated into the artwork of the site, usually in the upper right or upper left hand corners of the screen. Follow the next few steps in order to put a Main Photo on the site:
- Enter the CMS and click the purple button at the top of the screen that says "Manage Designs".
- Click [Edit] next to your design. If you have more than one design installed, click [Edit] next to whichever design you want to upload a photo to. (Every design will take a different sized photo, so you will have to upload a main photo separately for each design you have installed.)
- You will now see a place where you can upload your photo. Take note of the recommended photo dimensions, and crop your photo before uploading it for the best fit. (A good free photo editing program for Windows users is IrfanView.)
- If you want, you may also upload different Main Photos for every module of your site. This way the photo will change as the visitor goes from page to page.
- Click [Submit], and then go look at your site. If you do not see the photo, clear your cache and/or restart your browser. Some browsers (especially AOL browsers) can be stubborn about loading new photos.
Creating a Teaser:
A "teaser" is a block of content that appears around the border of your site, such as a featured album or contact info. Here's how to get a teaser on your site.
- Let's make a "Latest News" teaser: Go into the CMS and click "Preferences" next to the News module.
- At the top of the Preferences screen, you'll see a blue button that says "Teaser Preferences". Click it.
- For the teaser heading, enter "Latest News", then click "Set Preferences".
- Click the grey "Module List" button at the top of the screen, then click "Main Preferences".
- In the Main Preferences, scroll down to the "Links & Teasers" section.
- In the Teasers section, highlight "News" from the right-hand side and click the "Add" button.
- Click the "Set Preferences" button.
- Go look at your site. You will now see your "Latest News" teaser.